Thursday, April 29, 2010

Just thinking

I just realized how lucky I am. My life could have been worst. I was raised in the Bronx, in the Jackson projects. Every time I go back there to visit, I always bump into someone I knew. Usually they are up to nothing good in their lives. No school, no work or if they do work it’s a dead end job. Almost all of my old friends have children, and are struggling. I always promised myself not to have children I can’t afford. Everyone is always asking me when I will have children. I keep telling them in about 10 years because I am not ready. I am sick of hearing these questions. When are you getting married? When are you having a baby? When are you getting engaged? People I don’t know! Why is society putting so much pressure on me? I think it is worst on me because I am Latina. I am doing well though. I am on my way to graduating and pretty soon getting a job for about a year. Then I could start looking for grad schools for early education. Thank goodness I decided last minute to go to college. I never really have a set plan, and it’s sad. I never know what I’m about to do because I really don’t think ahead. I don’t know how to. I know people that have a 5 year plan, and they tell me I going to college was the most important decision I have ever made. Before SB I did not talk to different kinds of people. I was just used to black and Spanish people because that is all I knew. Now I have friends from all over the world and I thank this to living in dorms. I would have never tried different kinds of foods, like sushi or Indian. I would have missed out on so much. I am trying to influence my family into trying new things like I do, but it is hard to change set ways. Oh well, if I can change, anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment