Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Non Americans at Stony Brook

I feel that people from other countries come to study at Stony Brook because they feel this school can offer them a better job. I don't think this school is difficult to get into unless you are retarded. They accepted me, and I was shocked. I know they are linked with Stony Brook hospital and it's a very well known hospital for cancer patients. I used to work at the Neurobiology and Behavior department at the Life science building. I remember seeing everyday about 30 letters from Japan and China. They were mostly from men who wanted to get accepted to their research programs. I don't even know how these people got our information. I know they were rejected most of the time because they were from other countries. They couldn't speak English. Some of them would mention that they could hire translators to follow them around. Seriously, if you have money to afford such a luxury, why come to Stony Brook? Then I started to understand that their researchers are highly respected. I was working with well known doctors and I never even knew it because my American culture got in the way. All I could think about was What was Britney up to today. I guess most Americans don't take their education seriously because we are spoiled. In those countries they have to prove something to themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment