Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chatroulette

OMG. What an interesting night I had on Chatroulette.

It was late last night and I figured I would give it a try after seeing how well *cough, cough* it worked in class. I also wanted to do a little experiment and get a better feel for the site’s demographics, although I already had an idea of what they were. So, after mustering up the courage I needed I proceeded to log onto the site. Before getting settled in I wanted to create a disguise for myself so I played around with the settings on my webcam. Afterwards, I hit the play button and witnessed firsthand the "fun" that was Chatroulette.

The first batch consisted of around 5-10 people, all of whom were white males in their teens and early twenties. I then logged out and refreshed the site for my second trial run. This run was much more interesting. It consisted of about 10 or more people, most of whom were male. In this second trial I also had two females and two older males; one of whom had no shirt on with a hairy chest and man boobies while the other was sitting provocatively in his bathrobe. In addition, I had at least one man who was playing with his ding-a-ling.

After I was finished with the first two trials I thought about how much fun it would be to actually video tape this experiment. So I got my camera and set everything up and proceeded to hit the play button. Again I got some interesting results. This time I let the experiment run a little bit longer so I had more people. Most of the people in this experiment were males in their teens or twenties. I could have sworn that I captured that kid from the UK in this test run, but you’ll have to see for yourself. I did not have any older men, but I did get another guy playing with his crown jewels. That seems to be a pretty standard thing on this site. I also saw a few more girls and I was disturbed to see a young pudgy girl on one of my webcam chats. I did get someone to talk with me, as you will see in the video, but they were only interested in where I was from, and I was not interested in letting them know.

Probably the most exciting part of this trial was seeing who I thought to be the Jonas Brothers. Although I don’t follow them I have seen plenty of pictures of them on television or in the tabloid section of the supermarket. If these three guys were not them then they are the closest celebrity look-a-likes that I have seen. Unfortunately, I could not get a good shot with my camera, but you might be able to see their outline towards the end of the video.

Conclusion: The site is ridiculous and has no real limitations to what can be seen or who goes on it. I also think that it is pretty obvious who uses the site (young white males). Most of these guys are only looking for women to talk with. It does make me wonder what the few girls on the site are looking for. I also noticed that it didn’t take long for these guys to push the next button on me and the one’s that didn’t worried me since I looked so ridiculous in my disguise. Parents should be warned of the dangers of this site after seeing firsthand a young girl who could not have been more than 12 years old. This site just adds to the garbage that gets put onto the internet.

Video will be posted soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment