Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Knotty Bits

I am a member of the Puget Sound Lacemakers Guild, even though I haven’t shown up at one of their monthly meetings in well over two years, mostly because they hold meetings about 40 miles from my neck of the woods while I’m in the Seattle area and those meetings conflict with other stuff I have to do on Saturdays.
Recently I picked up the book The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry and am so thoroughly engrossed by it I think I’ll just sit down and knit me some lace edging. Nothing as fancy as the bobbin lace created by ladies at the Lacemakers Guild, or characters in "The Lace Reader," just a simple edging for pillowcases or frilly hankies or lingerie.
The reason I’m a member of the Lacemakers Guild is I’ve published a book on macramé lace, which is what macramé was called in Victorian times. It’s just macramé done on a small scale, with a lot of bling thrown in, like Swarovski crystals for added sparkle power. Funnily enough, macramé has always been knotted on a small scale in places like Italy and South America, and it doesn’t hold the same hippy-dippy connotation for the rest of the world that it has here in the US with rustic hemp knottery (read rustic to mean scratchy).

No comments:

Post a Comment