Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fire Marshal

Round 5 with the Fire Marshall

No one likes being in trouble...

That's how i've grown up. As a child, you never want to get in trouble. You are terrified at the prospect of trouble. Trouble means having thing taken away. Trouble means yelling. Trouble means changes in tone and inflection. Trouble means scolding and becoming even more "inferior". My whole life has been spent trying to avoid or stay out of it.

The other day I got wind that the Fire Marshal was once again snooping around in my studio. Not only that, but he made a lengthy write up that got distributed to a handful of "higher ups"

This is the 5th time that I've had a fire safety related "issue" in the past 2 years. One would immediately think that I was "asking for it," or that I just didn't learn. That's one possibility. But I would like to think that I consistently try to be compliant, but just end up failing in a different area.

"You can't do this..."

Ok, so I guess i'll just do "that" instead.

"Nope. Can't do that."

Ok, then maybe if I make these...

"Those are no good either. And now you're on our radar"

Well there can't be anything wrong now?...

"Except for 4 more things..."


So I had a meeting with the Fire Marshal posse. Large dudes. I suppose they meant "business," I guess you have to be somewhat burly to be in the fire business. But like most people in authority - whether they are teachers, police or firemen, I knew that they were only trying to do their job.

Their job is to save lives and properties at all cost.

My job is to make art, at as much of a cost as I can afford.

The meeting went well and we came to a common reasoning on all of the issues. I had to make many concessions, but hey.... it's their property, and domain.

What had me more upset is the scare tactics that I was hit with right after the initial inspection. A letter from my department - threatening all of the worse. Removal of my studio privileges, fines, and the possible termination of the program. What a way to start of the weekend....

Again... I hate being in trouble.

I hope that this is my last Fire Marshaley encounter. But I say that every time.

I'm going to go try some new "this" now.... and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment