Monday, April 11, 2011

Camino de Santiago and Other Pilgrimages

I've been thinking alot about doing a pilgrimage walking along the Camino de Santiago in northern Spain maybe in a year or so. I'll only be walking the last 70 miles so I can qualify for the pilgrim's passport. I guess you could say that since the concept of doing pilgrimage is common human experience shared amongst all the major religions, it can be thought of as a Jungian archetype. It's been haunting me for a few years as something I need to do. Loreena McKennitt's Santiago

I first became aware of pilgrimages through Chaucer's Canterbury Tales; he got the idea from Boccaccio, even though the people in Boccaccio's Decameron weren't on pilgrimage, but escaping the plague in the city of Florence by hanging out at a country villa for ten days (Decameron refers to ten days).

No comments:

Post a Comment