Sunday, March 6, 2011

Waylon 11

And I've been back to work on the grant hunt! I've been looking at documentary grants through Sundance and NAPT, and at a performance grant through NMAI. The documentary work is interesting, since I'd never really thought about making them until now. Not seriously, anyway. My girlfriend and I came up with a concept for one dealing with traditional basket-weaving one time, and this past summer I was talking to a lady about what I do at CIBA, and she told me straight up to make documentaries. If you get on NAPT's website, it becomes plain that educational films made by us for both Indian people and outsiders are all the rage right now.
The NMAI grant is a great big juicy thing for me. It would be perfect for the continuation of "Stories of Our People" that Julian and I were thinking about in San Diego. We could expand our little basement storytelling-theater to basements all up and down the Klamath!
What I should maybe look for next are grants for Indian radio shows. I've had some ideas for a few of those in the past, but they never really got off the ground. It's too bad, since now that I've been working on writing grants, the mystique is all stripped away. They're similar enough to all the other applications that I've filled out to border on the same ol' same ol'.

No comments:

Post a Comment