Tuesday, March 22, 2011

War and Peace

In 2003, as the second Iraqi War was just getting under way, I was driving in my Jeep Wrangler one day in a suburb of the Seattle area when I saw a group of people at a major intersection rallying for the war effort.

“If you’re not with us, you’re against us,” read a sign held up by a young mother holding the hand of her toddler. “Pinkos go home” read another sign in the crowd. My car came to a stop at the red light at the intersection. I was amazed to witness such animated vehemence right here on a local street in my own neighborhood. People were chanting slogans in praise of our President, the righteousness of the war effort and the unswerving patriotism of real American soldiers.

I happened to catch the eye of one of the rally participants on the side of the road. I made the mistake of flashing him the peace sign. In his fury the man pointed straight at me. Others in the crowd began to surge towards my car, screaming at the top of their lungs that I was an ungodly traitor.

Needless to say, I ran the red light.

No comments:

Post a Comment