Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Smoke Dancing - My favorite


I finally got footage of Smoke Dancing! It has become my favorite thing to watch at Powwows now, and I am borderline obsessed.

The dance is very popular with the Iroquois people, but it's popularity has expanded throughout Indian Country. And with this guy (thumbs pointing to self).

The name comes from the quick footwork, which looks like you are kicking up smoke moving your feet so fast!

I think it'll take me a while to get anywhere near good, but it looks like fun :)

Take notice of the little girl in the middle. I have seen her at a few powwows now - and aside from being cute and adorable, she is also very talented. I remember at one powwow, there was no one to compete for smoke dancing, so she went out there alone, and killed it! People even started walking up to her and throwing money at her feet in appreciation :)

This is smoke dancing, people :)

No comments:

Post a Comment