Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Annika1

I'm possibly the oldest grad student in this department at Stony Brook University. Yup, older than God. I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t blissing out creating something or another. I’m passionately intrigued by glassblowing , holography, pinhole photography, marbling paper and silk, calligraphy, watercolors, bookbinding, medieval illumination, and jewelry design; it took me a couple of decades to realize I was an interdisciplinary artist. Who wants to wallow in artistic monogamy anyway?

I've been through several incarnations career wise, from film producer/editor to Website Manager at Microsoft, to jewelry crafts book author and now as a candidate for the MFA in Dramaturgy at SBU.
Yup, still leading a remarkable life.


Lately I’ve been fascinated by spool knitting thin-gauge copper wire (28 to 32) and have been cranking out jewelry pieces and household items like beaded wire lampshades. I’ve got this current obsession to create new fabrics in my life, stringing elements together in a continuum that keeps going and going.

Thinking about using this wire mesh fabric for the inset panels down the front of Elizabethan gowns, or perhaps using freeform lace like this panel:


No comments:

Post a Comment